I think a lot of older people either love or hate bread and butter pudding! I’m under the impression that a lot of schools served it back in the day and it wasn’t always pleasant. My nan actually makes a lovely one and hers isn’t ever “sloppy” so I’ve tried to make mine like hers! Because easter has been and gone, I decided to ditch the bread and use left over hot cross buns too that way I’ve avoided the sultanas as an ingredient! I love cinnamon, and if I can use it, I will so this dish is a cinnamon sweet pudding that’ll hopefully go down a treat!
Let’s make Bread and Butter Pudding!
What you’ll need:
- 2 eggs
- 350ml double cream
- 300ml milk
- 25g Granulated sugar
- 4-6 hot cross buns
- Preheat oven to 180•
- Take a oven proof dish and line with butter.
- Cut your hot cross buns into halves and butter both sides on all. (You should have 8-12 halves)
- Layer them up in your dish and sprinkle over some cinnamon, not too much as you’ll use it again before popping it in the oven.
- take your milk and cream, add them into a saucepan and heat on the hob until scolding, we don’t want to bring to the boil!
- In a separate jug lightly whisk up your eggs and sugar.
- Add your hot milk and cream to your eggs and sugar and then with an electric whisk mix up the ingredients to make a custard.
- Add your custard mix on top and around your bread.
- Take a spoonful of sugar and dust over the top along with some more cinnamon.
- Pop into the oven for 45 mins to an hour until it’s golden brown on top and the custard has mostly been absorbed/set.
Side note* I don’t use all of my custard mixture so I suggest you go by your own judgement when pouring, I wanted to avoid the “swimming” look so I only use just over half of my mixture.
Take out of the oven and leave to cool, drizzle over some golden syrup and voila! Let me know what you think, has it changed your opinion on bread and butter pudding?! Leave me a comment or tag me on my socials👉🏼@keleighandthechaos !
Happy baking! Ox
- Chocolate TwistsPREP TIME- 8 minutesCOOK TIME- 15-20 minutes I have started to notice all my recent posts relate to food! So … More
- Puff pastry sharing dessert!Prep time- 5 mins Cook time- 20 mins Total- 25 mins My favourite part of Christmas is all the Christmassy … More
- Easy creamed sweetcorn with bacon.Prep time- 5 mins Cook time- 6-8 mins Total- 14 mins Ok so when I tell you this side dish … More